Search This Blog

Sunday 30 May 2021

Swans, weeds and litter

 What a beautiful weekend at last. Yesterday I met my friend for a walk and a spot of wombling. It is the start of the Great British Spring Clean but we do it anyway. Since the womble group has been set up in the town there is a great improvement so we only picked half a sack on our little walk then sat on a bench by the lock watching the boats. To our joy the swan family swam up into the lock. It is the first time I've seen them since the eggs hatched. Mum, dad and 8 little ones was such a happy sight.




Then we saw a coot with her two little ones. 


 
Today I was waiting for a friend to let me know she was home but it was too nice to stay in so I started to walk but got as far as the little park and was horrified at all the litter there so I came back for my litter picker and the half full rubbish bag and ended up clearing from my house all round the park, up the cycle track to the hospital then up to the top of the road to the bus garage. The bag was full but I couldn't have carried any more any way. I do usually pick up a few masks but I was amazed at how many were discarded outside the hospital. We are able to leave the bags next to bins then report the location on the council site and they pick them up the next day. 

As I walked through the park I was pleased to see the mass of cow parsley which appears every year. Only a weed but how beautiful. 



It seems such a shame that in view of such beauty people have to chuck all their rubbish down. I suppose the warm weather has brought them all out. 

4 comments:

  1. It is such a pity that you have to pick up other people's rubbish. Things seem to have got worse since lockdown. I agree with you about the cow parsley. It is a real show at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the litter is bad this weekend after the school and college leavers have been celebrating. That would account for the amount of laughing gas containers I found.

      Delete
  2. I agree that things seem to have gotten worse over the course of the pandemic. People just do not think.

    Lovely photos.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's at this time of year when litter becomes more of an issue here. It makes me so sad to see such disregard for the environment.
    Well done you for making a difference. X

    ReplyDelete