Search This Blog

Thursday 22 January 2015

 Iceland

Well I have wanted to go to Iceland for ages especially with the chance of seeing the Northern Lights so finally On the 12th January I went! I made my own way to Heathrow and on the tube a girl sitting opposite suddenly asked me if I knew Ellen somebody or other. It turned out that she thought I looked like the mother of this famous American person. In the end I realized that I had heard of her but still can't remember her name. We had a nice chat about America though.

I flew with Icelandair and it only took 2 and half hours. This is my first sight of Iceland.





I landed at 4pm and arrived at my hotel at 6pm via the fly-bus and several other hotels. I found the Northern Lights tour was cancelled due to weather conditions. I ate at the hotel for convenience and cheapness as only about £10 for all-you-can eat buffet of hot dish, 2 kinds of delicious home-made soup and home made breads plus salad, pasta dishes, fruit and skyr which is like yoghurt. Not forgetting endless tea which is an essential for me.  My hotel - The Cabin, was basic and my room small but clean and comfortable and as I was reminded, luxurious for somebody used to youth hostels!

No comments:

Post a Comment