Search This Blog

Monday 30 August 2021

On the ferry

One of the places I like to visit for a day out using my bus pass is Burnham on Crouch. It's a quiet little town on the river with lots of boating activity. There is an on demand ferry which goes across the river to Wallasea Island and I have been saying for years that I will take that trip. Well for the last few years circumstances have stopped me even getting to Burnham. The ferry runs until the end of September and even in season doesn't run on Wednesdays or very bad weather. Last week I had a lot going on every day except Thursday when I should have cleaned my home but I felt a need to get away to clear my mind and relax. So I finally got on the ferry. A cyclist was already waiting and had phoned the boat man and he was on his way over. The journey takes ten minutes as the quay on the opposite bank is a little way down the river. 





 Wallasea is a funny place. The ferry goes into a big marina and seems quite industrial with cranes and big equipment but it is also very rural. I went into the marina cafe first for a cuppa then walked along the river bank until I saw some plastic chairs placed right next to the path so I sat there and ate my salad and watched the river. A bit further on the path turned inland on the other side of a creek which ran along side a caravan site. The path was high up on a bank so I had good views on both sides.





The caravans had really pretty gardens. I couldn't work out what these structures were of rotten wood and rusty metal but decided they must have been a quay at some time. 

Once I was on the road I turned back toward the marina. There was a sign pointing to the RSPB reserve but I thought I wouldn't have time to walk there. Once I was back on the river I started walking the other way but it was obvious not many people had walked that way as it was quite overgrown and the wind was strong. Also a heavy jug had fallen on my foot two days before and it was very painful so I was walking slowly. I could see the ferry coming back up the river so made my way to the quay and went back to Burnham. Everywhere had run out of scones so I ended up with a toasted teacake with Tiptree jam and a pot of tea. It was definitely more crowded than I had ever seen it before even during school holidays so a sign of more people on staycations. 

I had a wander about taking a few more photos. The cinemas building dates back to 1931 and is surprising for such a small town to have one. The clock tower was erected in 1877 in memory of a local oyster merchant and philanthropist. 



There seems to be a very good bus service with the bus to Chelmsford every half hour although most of the time I was the only passenger. From there I took the bus home. I feel after one of these days out that I have had a holiday. 

3 comments:

  1. Discovering a new place to visit is always exciting. When it comes to housework or going for a walk I know which one I would choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the interesting tour. What a quaint theater.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds an almost perfect day, the cream scone would have been the perfect thing to have, it's always good to get out.

    ReplyDelete